Tuesday, October 25, 2016
Sunday, October 23, 2016
The Giants won the wild card game but lost the divisional series. Now I am faced with a difficult choice. I was happy to see the Cubs beat the Dodgers for the NL pennant. My father grew up near Cleveland and always had a soft spot for the Indians. I don't know for whom I will root.
Thursday, October 20, 2016
When I was a kid, someone gave me a book about World War One airplanes. I virtually memorized it. The Nieuport 24bis was one of a long series of sesquiplane (wing-and-a-half) fighters from the French Nieuport company. The 24 was more aerodynamically clean than its predecessor, the Nieuport 17. The original 24 had problems with its tail, so the company produced the 24bis, whith a tail based on the 17. The 24bis was soon replaced as a front line fighter by the Spad 7, but continued to be used as an advanced trainer. This example is a reproduction.
Ace Paul Tarascon named his 24bis Zigomar, after a popular series of stories and movies about a a master criminal.
In July, 2010, we visited the Museum of Flight near Seattle. I took this photo in the Personal Courage Wing, which features airplanes, mostly fighters, from World War One and World War Two.
Saturday, October 15, 2016
50 years ago today, on 15-October-1966, Bobby Seale and Huey P Newton founded the Black Panther Party for Self Defense in Oakland. When I grew up, a lot of people were scared of them, but I couldn't see bad people feeding kids breakfast every day.
They had a ten point program. We still have a long way to go to get there.
- We want freedom. We want power to determine the destiny of our Black Community.
- We want full employment for our people.
- We want an end to the robbery by the Capitalists of our Black Community.
- We want decent housing, fit for shelter of human beings.
- We want education for our people that exposes the true nature of this decadent American society. We want education that teaches us our true history and our role in the present day society.
- We want all Black men to be exempt from military service.
- We want an immediate end to POLICE BRUTALITY and MURDER of Black people.
- We want freedom for all Black men held in federal, state, county and city prisons and jails.
- We want all Black people when brought to trial to be tried in court by a jury of their peer group or people from their Black Communities, as defined by the Constitution of the United States.
- We want land, bread, housing, education, clothing, justice and peace.
Wednesday, October 12, 2016
We visited the Blackhawk Museum in June, 2013 to drool over their collection of classic autos. This 1932 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Continental Pillar-less Saloon has a body designed for the exiled Prince of Nepal by the French firm of Figoni and Falaschi. Figoni and Falaschi usually created coachwork for sports cars.
According to the description, "All vertical lines were changed to a ten-degree slope toward the rear, giving the body the impression of surging power and creating a visibly dynamic profile."
Sunday, October 9, 2016
|Los Angeles Herald, 17-July-1909|
The Salt Lake Route, the Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad, later became part of the Union Pacific. People could visit Santa Catalina Island from Los Angeles for $2.50 round trip.