Monday, February 11, 2008

Tom Lantos, RIP -- February 11, 2008


We were in my cubicle at work when someone looked out the window and asked why the flags at Moscone Center were at half mast. Someone else said he had heard that an old congressman had died. I asked if it was Tom Lantos, and he said the name sounded right.
Tom Lantos had been our Representative since we moved to San Mateo County. I admired his dedicated career. He was the only Holocaust survivor to serve in Congress. He taught economics. He stood up for oppressed people.
A few months ago, before he announced that he would not run for reelection because he had been diagnosed with cancer, I got a call from some polling group that kept asking whether I would vote for him or Jackie Speier based on knowing various things. I kept saying I would vote for him if he was healthy enough to run. Otherwise, I would vote for her.
I hope they name the tunnel after him.

No comments: