Monday, February 1, 2010

Biplane That He Built In His Backyard -- February 1, 2010

"Aviator J. E. Mair's biplane that he built in his backyard at 3106 West Fullerton Avenue." According to Aerofiles (http://www.aerofiles.com/), it was "A copy of Wright Flier built in Mair's back yard, but no record of it flying or if it even left the back yard." From the 30-August-1910 Chicago Daily News. I assume that is Mair himself working on the upper wing.

I wanted to build an airplane like this, in my basement and backyard, when I was in grammar school. I didn't have the money for materials and I couldn't figure out how I would get it two blocks to Golden Gate Park, and get it through the trees to a meadow where I could fly it.

The photo comes from the Library of Congress' wonderful American Memory site (http://memory.loc.gov/). DN-0008677, Chicago Daily News negatives collection, Chicago Historical Society.

Congratulations to Jon Miller, who won the Ford C Frick award. I'm looking forward to his speech at Cooperstown.

No comments: