Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Habemus Papam -- March 13, 2013

The conclave that formed to select a new Pope after Benedict XVI resigned the Papacy has chosen Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires. He has taken the name Francis I. There is some discussion about whether he is referring to Francis of Assisi, Francis Xavier, or another Francis. Pope Francis has many unique aspects, he is the first Pope from the Western Hemisphere, the first Jesuit, the first Francis. His parents were Italian immigrants. I hope my cousins in Argentina are pleased.  He is known for living simply. 

I'm happy he chose Francis, especially if he was thinking about Francis of Assisi. I was sort of hoping for Sixtus VI, but I didn't think it was likely.

 I took this photo of the National Shrine of Saint Francis, formerly Saint Francis Church, on 20-August-2011. Saint Francis Church was San Francisco's first parish.

No comments: