Thursday, September 12, 2013

Children During the American Revolution -- September 12, 2013


Today I went to Good Shepherd School in Pacifica and talked to grades 6-7-8 about Children's Lives During the American Revolution. They are participating in a DAR essay contest on the subject. I talked about how they will be writing a lot of essays in junior high, high school and college, so it important to practice certain skills:
Analyze.  Study the topic/question.  Make sure you understand the words.  Looking up the words you know and use every day might give you an idea of what to write about.  I asked if anyone there was a child.  Then we discussed the definition of "child."
Angle.  I said the person who reads the essay for the DAR might have to read hundreds.  How can you make yours stand out?  Look for a unique angle.
A___.  I said I'd fill that one in later.  After I finished, I said it was "Amuse."  If someone has to read hundreds of essays, they'll remember yours if you find a good story or anecdote to tell.

It was fun, but I am tired. 

No comments: