Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Comic Book #31 -- January 21, 2014

Captain Jim Albright was a brave aviator who served in the American Expeditionary Force during World War One.  He earned the name Captain Midnight when he returned from a critical mission at the stroke of midnight. 

I remember reading about Captain Midnight in Jim Harmon's The Great Radio Heroes.  The show began as a fifteen-minute daily radio serial in 1938.  Soon after, the Captain and his Secret Squadron were fighting Axis villains.  In 1942, the Captain appeared in a syndicated comic strip, a Fawcett comic book, and a Columbia movie serial.  The radio show ended in 1949.  In 1954-1957, he appeared in a television series. 

I heard some episodes played on Gene Nelson's show on KSFO and elsewhere. 

When I read Harmon's description of the many premiums available to radio listeners, badges, medals, games and especially decoders, I wanted to get them, but I couldn't figure out how.  I think that chapter prompted my interest in cryptography. 

The image is from the wonderful site CoverBrowser (http://www.coverbrowser.com/).  

No comments: